Pages

Wednesday 21 January 2015

JUMP WITH JAMIE DRASTIK ! Album Review & Interview


Mr 305 Inc's Jamie Drastik carved out his own distinctive and remarkable sound which exudes through his music. Pitbull once said Jamie was going to be the Ben Affleck of music. This 'White Boy Wasted' came 'Outta Nowhere' and is storming through with hits that positively slap you in the face, stop you in your tracks and take control of ears and mind.

Praised by other key players in the industry such as P.Diddy, Jadakiss and fellow Mr 305 Inc's Fat Joe, Jamie has a list of collaborations under his belt not only with mentor Pitbull himself but also the likes of Havana Brown, Kelly Rowland, Flo Rida, Danny Mercer, Shawn Vanbrocklin and many more.

Jamie Drastik's lyrical skills and overall flow are exceptional and stand out amongst other styles. Meaningful lyrics and not rhymes for the sake of rhymes. Lyrics which command the attention and not just make you simply 'hear' but demand that you listen, pay full attention and digest the messages and experiences that Jamie Drastik delivers so well. As Jamie has done so powerfully in his latest album Jump The Decision.

Jump The Decision is packed with varying sounds, themes and rhymes that leave a lot of 'food for thought'. 

The first track is The Decision which is incredibly 'moving' with the capacity to strike a strong chord for anyone chasing dreams and wanting to be successful. Not only words of encouragement such has having to jump and "take a leap of faith". But Jamie also takes us through other associated thoughts and emotions that we can relate to in one context or another  "Butterflies in my stomach. There's a chance that I could plummet, you know how much I want it.." With where that sink or swim feeling sets in "When I jump imma die or fly, I make my decision in the sky"  To the other side of the many 'advisors' in different shapes and forms "Telling me what I shouldn't do, funny thing is that tells me all about you, can't let your fears be my fears" Time to take things in his own hands as Jamie tells us "There's no difference from doormat to dormant" fighting through and being in the "Eye of the storm with the eye of the tiger"

Broken Boomerang featuring Shawn Vanbrocklin vacuums you into a whirlpool of emotions with the story in the song "They told me if you love her then you let her go, I learned if you love her then you never let her go, whoever said that was not credible..But I believed that. Incredible" and the song goes on as verses show hurt and mixed emotions, things getting sour, regrets. Another MUST listen to song on the album.




From the deeper tracks to the lighter such as Set You Free featuring Andrew Martinez with an infectious hook and have you toe tapping and head bopping or to straight 'dance, move, slide and groove' just let loose go with it and let Jamie set you free! He thinks he likes it/her but I'm pretty sure I love this song. Be Mine featuring Stephen Gage is a feel good mellow and soft summer track.



Switch Kicks is a refreshing song about looking at and respecting things from a different perspective, something his mentor Mr Worldwide also lives by and begins with Jamie living through the eyes of a woman getting the kids ready and heels on (and later complaining about walking in those mother f***** heels all day! ) to other thoughts and strings of questions of being with someone pursuing their career. To being true to yourself and doing what you do. Listen out for that verse when the email comes through as Jamie's flight lands that starts with "Word up Pit"

Who writes songs thanking fans, who REALLY thanks their fans personally as a true heartfelt  thank you? Jamie Drastik that's who. The final track on the song is Thank You in which Jamie personally addresses fans with appreciation with a lot of familiar #Pitbullgirls featured too- Netty, Kira Marie, Karen, Carla Ivey, Michelle in Miami, Bertie,Tori Ribas, Hannah from Indiana, Gillian from Ireland, Kristen, Rose Camacho, Larissa in Brazil, Donna, Amira, Chris. The list goes on as Jamie thanks the #pitbullgirls that stay active and also support Jamie Drastik.

Be sure to check out and get your own copy of Jump The Decision. The exceptional album that arrests attention with it's varied and addictive songs that transports your mindset and takes your heart along to live through the song while others make you want to just dance.  A Lyrical genius with rhymes that sting from one angle to another. Jamie Drastik's music is one to watch out for. But that's enough from me, let's hear what Mr Drastik had to say when I caught up with him earlier...


When did you first realise your passion for rap and wanting to pursue it as a career?
At a young age, when I was 16. I was already traveling and performing.

Who are your influences in and outside of music?
I am drawn to great song writers. So I look to Smokey Robinson, Billy Joel, and Jay Z. Influences outside of music can come from anyone. Everyone is exceptional at something, I try to learn from everyone. Especially kids, they are too young to worry about being politically correct. They are the best music critics.

What albums did you grow up listening to?
Mostly hip hop. Jay Z's Blueprint spent a lot of time in my headphones. Eminem's Eminem Show as well. At a younger age grew up in a "Motown" house, so there was a lot of soul music going on.

What are you listening to right now?
A folder of beats to write more songs to mostly.

What would be on your drinks list for a 'party in the basement'?
Voli
Jack Daniels
Coors
Margaritas for the women. 
And some fireball shots.

How did you meet Pitbull and become part of the Mr 305 Inc. family?
I had a song on my local radio station and it got the attention of one of his business partners, Robert Fernandez. Pit and I were both on the bill for a big radio show in my town and we met backstage and hung out afterwards and clicked.

What is it it like working with Pitbull?
He gives you all the freedom you want. He gives you little gems and it's on you to either listen and apply or not. I try to be a sponge. I am aware that some of the business conversations I get to witness not everyone gets to hear.

Has Pitbull ever shared any words of wisdom or valuable advice with you?
Don't look back, not even for a push.

Loved Outta Nowhere, Chasing Shadows and Castle Made of Sand with Pitbull.
Can we expect another collaboration together in the future?
I think that we can always collaborate. We are continuously sending music back and forth. It's important for me right now to continue to build my brand. 

You opened the Planet tour and also headlined the after party of the Pitbull and Enrique tour a few years ago, what was that like? Were there any memorable moments from that time?
Every moment was memorable. I was not even supposed to be on that tour. Originally it was Nayer. I heard that she wasn't going and before they could make a choice to replace her I flew to Vancouver with my show cd and a bag of clothes. Pit appreciated my ambition and let me stay on the whole tour. 

Are there any other artist/s or bands out there you would like to collaborate with?
Gavin DeGraw. He's from an area right by me and he's a great artist.

How do you keep yourself motivated and driven?
It's just in me. There's nothing I have to do to keep myself going. I love to hustle and grind and watch things grow.

Are there any lessons you have learnt on your journey so far?
Yes, there are no rules. Do what works for you.

What do you want fans to take away from your music?
I feel like they have yet to really get to know me. That's mostly my fault because I was trying to make records to fit on a radio playlist rather than just give myself and let the music find it's own place to fit in. That's what I'm doing with Jump.

The lyrics and the video to The Decision really hit home. The song and title of the album itself is encouraging to those of us wanting to pursue our dreams. Do you have any more words of advice for those wanting to pursue a career as an artist?
Don't spend all your time chasing new fans, pay attention to the ones that support you. If you service your present fan base with quality music they will help you get new fans.

What's been the best or most memorable parts of recording the new album Jump The Decision?
The decision to do it. Once I made up my mind to make this album and the other ones for this year, it's been a great experience.

Your songs and lyrics are very moving and leave a lot of 'food for thought' - are there any songs out there that you have been moved by?
Hmmm. Eric Clapton's Tears in Heaven will get ya lol.

You have such a strong fan-base and I have a question from one of your biggest supporter, Bertha Seymour (@Bertie8689) about your new album Jump The Decision "Each song is different in vibe but each song lyrics sound personal in the sense that you are sharing your life with us, was that the intention of this CD - Kind of get to know Jamie?"
One thousand percent yes! Love Bertie!

I absolutely love how you are REAL, appreciate fans, interact personally and am filled with admiration of how you went as far as writing rhymes with specific fan names making it that more personal and meaningful - thank you for this. When is Thank You Part 2 due to be released?
Thank You Pt 2 will be on April 1st release. Jump The Takeoff. This record is so important to me. The people who support my music are amazing people. Mothers, service men and women, teachers, honor students. People from all walks of life. They have the choice to listen to so much music and they decide to support me amongst others... That's amazing to me. Thanking them is necessary. I will finish every album I ever come out with, with a version of Thank You.

If I was to come to New York where could we hang out, what's your favourite spot in the Big Apple?
Rooftop of the Gansevoort Hotel or Yankee Stadium.

What's next?
Jump The Takeoff comes out April 1st. I CAN'T wait for very one to hear this one.

Thank you Jamie, it's been an absolute honour, I wish you all the best for your future projects and look forward to more fantastic songs.
Thank you so much for these amazing questions. Thank you for supporting my crazy dreams. 




FOLLOW JAMIE DRASTIK


Official Page 
Jamiedrastikdirect.com



YouTube

Vevo

SoundCloud

Facebook

Twitter 
@Jamiedrastik


Bookings 
Jamiedrastikbookings@gmail.com


                                   
CLICK ON JAMIE'S HOODIE BELOW TO
GET YOUR OWN COPY OF 
JUMP THE DECISION

&

JAMIE DRASTIK MERCHANDISE




No comments:

Post a Comment